Monday, February 20, 2017

Review: HISTORY Through the Ages Project Passport World History Study:Ancient Greece



I don't know how many of you have used any of the products from Home School in the Woods before, but I hadn't. I had checked the site out a year or so ago for something to use with our 8 year old.  At the time I wasn't sure if the price was worth it, if he'd enjoy it, so I just put it on the back burner.  Recently I was given the chance to review HISTORY Through the Ages Project Passport World History Study:Ancient Greece and I was so excited.  This is one of those items I just wasn't sure was worth the money and getting to review it made me so excited.  

I have to say that the day I received the product I was so excited that I just started printing! The program is set up in stops where you have specific tasks to complete for each stop. I really like how you can go to each stop and print everything you need. There isn't a question of what is needed for each stop. There are also several things to do in a stop, so if there is something that isn't going to work for you then you can skip that. I like that it includes a timeline and maps as well as additional activities. They have also given you different options for some of the activities. Take the time line, they give two methods to put it together and it's up to you and your child which you'd prefer.  Everything is done to engage your child in what you are studying. There are really just tons of hands-on activities that you can chose from. Our middle child was fascinated with Greek Mythology for quite a while. I noticed that as we worked through Ancient Greece our youngest recognized several names that he had heard his sister mention over the years.






We ended up completing one stop a week. I was aiming for two stops a week, but unfortunately life got in the way! The child I was using it with ended up with pneumonia, so that threw a little wrench in our plan. It also depends on your child and how much they are capable of doing. For us, the map work was a little hard.  My son doesn't have the fine motor skills to do the map writing on his own. We printed out the labels and used those. That was still hard for him to always get them right in the exact places. We finally just did the printed map and that was helpful for him. He also doesn't like to color, so some of the activities that suggested coloring we just didn't do the coloring. I know they would have looked nicer colored, but that's not a battle I am willing to fight :) I plan to continue using this and will try for two stops a week. I think when my son is enjoying the activities that will be easy to do. I now know that the price, $33.95 for the downloaded version and $34.95 for the cd version is well worth it.  Everything you need to really immerse yourself in the study of  Ancient Greece is included in this set.

One thing I would suggest is that you pre-print all the activities for your stop. If you end up not using something that's ok, but it's easier to be prepared if it's all printed. Also, I found that for my son I should pre-cut everything that needed to be cut. Several times he was sitting there waiting and losing interest because I was cutting things out. It's a struggle for him to cut out or deal with too many small things. Once I took care of this we had no more bumps along the journey.

Go check out Home School in the woods at the following places:

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/homeschoolinthewoods

Pinterest:  https://www.pinterest.com/hsinthewoods/

Google+:  https://plus.google.com/b/109711152019235885312/+Homeschoolinthewoods

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/HSintheWoods  @HSintheWoods




They have loads of information and ideas. I've also heard they are working on Ancient Rome, so check them out for the newest information.








HISTORY Through the Ages Project Passport World History Study Reviews







Hashtags: #hsreviews #history #unitstudies #AncientCivilizations #lapbooking

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Roar Like a Lion

Raising kids has always been a hard job, but with technology the way it is now I think most parents would say it's become harder.  We al...