Wednesday, April 1, 2020

March Book Reviews


This month has been a little different than others with all the virus talk going on and orders to stay home. Thank goodness I had a large stack from the library to get me started for the month. I read 13 books this month! I was pretty shocked, but several were ones I was finishing up from the end of last month or short little reads.  I rated them on a scale from 1-5.  I love using Goodreads to keep track of the books I've read and those I want to read.  If you use Goodreads let's connect! I always love seeing what books others are reading.











Where Hope Prevails is the third book in the series The Return to the Canadian West that I was reading last month. This book fit right along with the other two and was an easy read while capturing my imagination and making me wonder how I would manage life out in this area. ⭐⭐⭐⭐












Serving Up Love is a book I grabbed from the recommended shelf at the library. We are currently working on The Industrial Revolution through the Great Depression from Home School In The Woods and the Harvey House Girls are talked about in one of the lessons. It didn't hit me that I was reading a book about them until about 3/4's of the way through the story. This was a easy, romantic book, but not one of my absolute favorites for this month. ⭐⭐⭐














Venturing With God In Congo was probably my absolute favorite book this month and one of my favorites that I've ever read. I posted a review earlier this month, but I highly recommend this book to everyone. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐















Everything We Ever Wanted is by an author that is new to me this month. My friend Roxanne posted about Sara Shepard in her February Reading Wrap Up post last month. I was at the library and decided to look for the book she had reviewed, but it wasn't available. This book was there and sounded like a good read. So glad that I took a chance and went ahead and checked this book out. I really enjoyed the book as well as found a new author :) ⭐⭐⭐⭐





True Life Alice Paul was a quick little read I picked up off the suggested shelf at the library.  Learned about a few women in history that I hadn't heard of and enjoyed how they helped women's rights.  ⭐⭐⭐



Trying to get back to a healthier weight, so I keep picking up random books I see at the library about different health views. I liked the ideas in this book and it's one I wouldn't mind owning to easily refer back to the suggested eating plans and recipes.  ⭐⭐⭐






Our New Love is a short story in a long stream of full-length stores about the Braden and Remington families. I grabbed this off my favorite place at the library, the recommended shelf, and plan to check out the others.  ⭐⭐⭐




Made by Yourself was an easy flip through book for me on a Sunday afternoon. Most of the ideas weren't anything I'd do, but I always love looking through these type of books for inexpensive and easy decorating ideas.  ⭐⭐




The Manager Mom Epidemic is one of those books that has been on my Goodreads list since 2001 (LOL) I skimmed this book mostly because after I started reading it I realized it was really geared more to the younger children. There were some great ideas in there and had I read it when my kids were younger I would probably have used several of them.  ⭐⭐⭐





The Dream Daughter is the type of book that I'm not sure I'd usually read and enjoy until I'm done reading it. This book is about a mom who time travels to save her daughter's life. Typically the time travel part would turn me off, but I didn't know about it until I was into the book. I read this book on a Saturday and I have to say there were at least three times in this book that my mouth dropped open and I was in total shock. Totally recommend this book! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐





Cleaning the Gold Will Trent heads to Fort Knox to investigate a 22 year old murder. The suspect is Jack Reacher, but when Will arrives he realizes that Jack is on a mission of his own.  The only thing to do is to team up to try and figure out what's going on at Fort Knox.  This seemed like a stand alone story, but as I was reading it I was totally confused. I really didn't understand the entire story and was even more confused at the end :( ⭐




The Split History of the Women's Suffrage Movement was a book that caught my eye and I figured I should do a little schooling for myself :) (LOL) I liked this book because it's a flip book, so one side told the story from the those fighting for women's rights and the other for those against.  A quick read filled with lots of facts. ⭐⭐⭐





Parkland Speaks is a very touching and emotional book where the students from Marjory Douglas High School share their thoughts after experiencing a school shooting. It's happening too much these days and this book shares the experience and how those people affected dealth with it.  ⭐⭐⭐⭐



If you could choose just ONE book from the list you read in March to recommend to someone which book would it be? 







10 comments:

  1. You had a fantastic reading month! I would recommend Where the Crawdads Sing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to put it on my list now :) I don't know what I'll do when the library actually opens back up (LOL)

      Delete
  2. I love GoodReads! I sent you a friend request. I have been thinking about doing a blog post listing the 5-star books I've read lately. Your post has motivated me to work on that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to have you as a friend and love reading what types of books others are currently reading.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoy Janette Oke! Sadly, I haven’t read much for fun lately. My small group is reading Cultivating the Fruit of the Spirit by Christopher Wright and I’ve liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janette Oke is a favorite. I've realized the more Christian Romance and books on the Amish that I read that I pick up a "regular" fictional romance and don't always like them. The book you mentioned sounds interesting. I'm going to have to look it up :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One book I read in March to recommend? That is a tough one. I really enjoyed C.S. Lewis: Mastery Storyteller and The Ravenmaster by Christopher Skaife. Both very interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Review: Roar Like a Lion

Raising kids has always been a hard job, but with technology the way it is now I think most parents would say it's become harder.  We al...