Sunday, January 15, 2017

Weekly Recap W/E 1-14-17

This was one of those wonky weeks! I couldn't seem to get motivated for some reason.  I think it might have been the snow. Yep, we'll go ahead and blame it on the snow! (LOL) I love snow and the few times we do get it I feel like sitting in front of the fire reading a good book. I think since we still had some snow/ice on the ground Monday I just didn't feel like jumping into school (LOL)

It continues to amaze me every day how well Issac is reading now. At the end of last year he couldn't read the directions for his school. Now he has no trouble reading the directions and for the most part completely his work. Now we are trying to transition into him not needing to have me sitting right there beside him. For all these years I've had to sit with him, read everything to him and do most of the writing. I think he's still in that mindset and doesn't see that he can read it all himself. He's doing all the writing as long as it's not long. We recently went back to Occupational Therapy for a short time and it was amazing how much his writing improved. One issue we are having is that he believes he can write and therefore doesn't need to practice (LOL) Something we are working on.

We are finishing up A Child's Geography and Issac has really enjoyed this. He didn't like doing the postcard activity they had though. I'm not sure if it was needing to recall what he learned, writing or something else. We also just started a geography note pack from In The Hands of a Child and I'm hoping Issac will enjoy that.

Zachary starts back school this week.  He's taking two computer classes again this time. It's so amazing to think that he will be 18 in a few weeks and graduating in 4 months! I just don't know where the time has gone. I miss that little boy that he was, but I see what an amazing young man he's growing into. I couldn't be more proud of him.

I wish I could post a picture of Brianna on here, but she's at a stage where I'm not allowed to post pictures :) She's just a beautiful young lady! Sometimes it just amazes me that she is my daughter. She has such a strong personality and I know she's going to go far in life. She will never let anyone run over her or drag her down. I can't wait to see where life takes her.

I've been reading a few interesting books this week. I've been reading  100 Days of Real Food and it's been very interesting. I tend to zone out sometimes when things get to technical (LOL) I love that this book has tons of recipes and to me that is much easier to relate too! We had two of the dishes this week for dinner.  I made the Southwest Chicken Wraps which we really liked. Next time I'll drop the cayenne and chili powders just a bit for Issac and I.  I also made the veggie pancakes.  To me they were a bit bland. They were also suppose to be pan fried, but since I was making a double batch I did them on a broiler pan. I think I'd make them again, but add additional seasoning.  Carl really liked them and the kids seemed to as well.  I finished The Food Police last night. I really had to push myself to get through that book. It just seemed to me that the author was knocking all ideas of organic and eating well. I think his main goal was to say that we don't want to lose our choices.  I think everyone agrees about that, but I took away that he feels by making certain changes that most feel would be good would actually be harmful because then we'd have no choices.  He also repeated that food costs are at the lowest here in the states. I just have a hard time believing that food costs are higher now than 40 or 50 years ago.  I think for most people the food budget is second to a mortgage or rent. It was an interesting read anyway you look at it.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good week, we did not do so well last week as I did not feel well but hoping this week will be better. It is so nice when we see them accomplish something that had not been able to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry you didn't feel well Pat! I think pretty much every week I'm not really sure it was a good week, but I think that is how homeschooling people are (LOL)

      Delete

Review: Roar Like a Lion

Raising kids has always been a hard job, but with technology the way it is now I think most parents would say it's become harder.  We al...