Saturday, May 12, 2018

The Great Molasses Spill




Have you ever heard of the Boston Molasses Flood? I hadn't either until Friday when I was attending a UDN PEER meeting. There is an amazing man there named Paul who is so gracious and so full of knowledge of the town. The molasses flood came up and none of us had ever heard of it. He started telling us the story and I KNEW I had to get Issac looking this up and reading about it. What an amazingly crazy story!!



On January 15, 1919 a horrible sound similar to gunfire and grating noises was heard before a 5-story high metal tank of molasses split open! More than 7.5 MILLION LITERS of molasses ran through Boston's North End. Traveling at 55 mph and in a wave 7.5 meters high and 50 meters wide at the peak. 21 people were killed and another 150 were injured. I would love to spend an entire week with Paul learning about Boston!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Roar Like a Lion

Raising kids has always been a hard job, but with technology the way it is now I think most parents would say it's become harder.  We al...