Thursday, January 25, 2018

Missing Isaac by Valerie Fraser Luesse



It's hard to imagine a time when an African American person and a Caucasian person couldn't really share or show they had a friendship. In the book Missing Isaac by Valerie Fraser Luesse Pete McLean's dear friend, Isaac, disappears. He's recently lost his father and leaned more on Isaac and their friendship than he previously had done. When Isaac goes missing Pete knows something is wrong, but not many people seemed to care that an African American man had just disappeared. Isaac had been a fixture on the farm Pete lived on his entire life. He had never known Isaac to just up and leave or even not show up for work. Pete struggles to deal with the loss of his father as well as Isaac when he meets a new friend. He meets Dovey while searching for clues about what happened to Isaac. They start a friendship that will become more special to either of them than anyone could have every imagined. When Pete discovers what became of Isaac it's not something that anyone would have ever expected. I haven't read anything by Valerie Fraser Luesse before, but I really enjoyed her writing. She specializes in stories about unique parts of Southern culture and those are the types of stories that have always been interesting to me. This was a nice, easy read and one that kept me captivated until the very end.


** I received a copy of this book free for my honest review. 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting book! I can't imagine having to hide a friendship for any reason. Reading your book reviews is making me aware of how much I am slacking on my personal reading lately. I need to get some me time in and work on my to be read pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go through phases with my reading (LOL) Sometimes I'm really into the books and just read and read :) I keep a book in my purse pretty much all the time. That when if the kids have an appointment or I'm stuck sitting somewhere I can read :)

      Delete

Review: Roar Like a Lion

Raising kids has always been a hard job, but with technology the way it is now I think most parents would say it's become harder.  We al...