Saturday, August 12, 2017

Week Ending 8/12/17

Spent some time working on school this week and of course reading :) I know with school starting on the 21st that my reading time will be cut WAY down. I'm trying to finish the stack I have and somehow managed to request about 20 new books to add to it (LOL) This week I've read the following:

The Perfect Stranger


The Doctor's Blessing


An Amish Christmas


Plain Promise


Marshall's Law
 A Reluctant Bride

A Reluctant Bride


A Road Unknown


I ordered the last thing that I needed for Brianna's school which was Wordly Wise 10 and the answer key.  I also ordered The Smart Alex Series: Reading Comprehension 4.  Issac's reading has really improved over the last year, but I still don't want to push him too much. He enjoyed the 180 Days of Reading Grade 4 that he did last year. When he did his CAT testing at the end of the year I paid an additional fee for curriculum recommendations. This is one that was recommended, so I figured we'd try it.  I've ALMOST decided to order Math Mammoth Grade 4 to use for this year. He was ahead in math for a few years until we hit multiplication/division. That really slowed us now and we haven't moved forward much really in the last year.  After two reviews this past year: Times Tales the Fun Way and Math Mammoth multiplication/division got better for Issac. I had planned to finish using Teaching Textbooks 5 this year, but he doesn't want to work on it anymore. He really liked Math Mammoth and it seemed to click for him, so I thought we'd do some of their units. When I looked at the placement test I realized he probably couldn't even pass the 4th grade placement test. I decided we might try using their entire level this year and see how that goes.  We just got some exciting news this weekend that we got the Let's Go Geography review, so I'm SUPER excited about that. I think it's going to be one of Issac's favorites this year.  I was able to prepare the dividers, his passport and the first two lessons today.  I've got a few more things to prep before school starts and hopefully we'll have a great year.
The two youngest kids and my husband are in WV this weekend for a karate seminar.  I hate to admit it, but it's been SO NICE AND QUIET since they left yesterday (LOL) I love my family, but it's nice having no music/tv/kid drama/etc :) They'll be home tomorrow, so I'd better enjoy the rest of my evening and what time I have tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I am so excited for you and your little man. It sounds like you are going to have a great year with some exciting new things to try out! I hope you are enjoying your quiet time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quiet time was AMAZING!! Well, I didn't sleep well, but the days were nice (LOL)

    ReplyDelete

Review: Roar Like a Lion

Raising kids has always been a hard job, but with technology the way it is now I think most parents would say it's become harder.  We al...