Sunday, August 27, 2017

First Week of School 8/26/2017

Monday was the first day back to school, so this week has been an adjustment (LOL) I typically try not to schedule anything the first few weeks, so that we can ease back into the swing of things! I had a kitten getting spayed on Monday, so the first day of school I was up and out of the house at 6:30 to drop the kitten off at the clinic.  Came back and we had homeade cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing. I started the cinnamon roll tradition I believe when our oldest started kindergarten.  Some years we buy the tubes from the dairy section and some years I make them. I don't know if the kids care either way, but if I didn't have them they would ask.  It's not a big thing to do, but it's just one of those little traditions that we've done over the years.

 The day went pretty good.  Issac and I are working on a few things for upcoming reviews.  We worked in our An Overview of the 20th Century lapbook by A Journey Through Learning Lapbooks.  Issac is really enjoying some of the information he's learning through this lapbook.  I like these because you can do them as is, add books, add projects or whatever you want.  We are also reading Charlotte's Web and using the Charlotte’s Web E-Guide by Progeny Press.  Charlotte's Web was one of my daughter's favorite books growing up.  Even though she's not doing the study I've noticed a few times she's answered the questions for Issac just because she knows the book so well (LOL) I like this study because there is vocabulary work, some short answer questions as well as some more comprehensive questions. It's been a good intro to more in-depth book studies for Issac.  We've also been reading Imagine. . .The Great Flood by Matt Koceich as our nighttime reading.  This book has really caused Issac to think and has started some great conversations. I think if he had to chose his favorite subject of the week it would be Let's Go Geography. He's really enjoying his venture into studying North America.  He asked me to take school pictures which is another first day tradition. I got ready and then he was "busy", so he said later (LOL) So far the first week is gone now and still no pictures (LOL) He kept talking about his sister taking pictures and she's refusing :( Hopefully tomorrow we'll get some :)

I think my daughter had a good first week. She seems to be enjoying her Marine Biology 2nd Edition Advantage Set by Apologia Educational Ministries.  I think her second favorite subject of the week was probably her World History & Cultures from Abeka or her Wordly Wise 10. Seems like yesterday she was 4 and wanting to do work like her older brother. I included her in whatever she wanted to be a part of and actually started her doing Reading Made Easy because she wanted to learn to read.  I have this picture of her in my head in her pajamas, asleep in the rocking chair holding the Reading Made Easy Book.  Seems not that long ago and yet here she is starting 10th grade and will be graduating in three years. The time goes by so much more quickly than we can every imagine.  This is the first time in quite a few years that I've only got two kids at home.  I'm so proud of my oldest and all he has accomplished.  I know he as well as the other two will go far in life.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a great start to this school year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never totally what I think it "should" be, but it was pretty good (LOL)

      Delete

Review: Roar Like a Lion

Raising kids has always been a hard job, but with technology the way it is now I think most parents would say it's become harder.  We al...