Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Intensive Home Therapy Update

I realized I haven't done an update on the Intensive Home Therapy we have been doing with Issac. We started right before Thanksgiving and are going into our 5th month. We saw a few inklings of better behavior and working on coping skills, but that seems to not have lasted. Around Christmas we took off two weeks for the holiday and then my aunt passed away, so we ended up with a third week out of school. The small improvement that we had seen haven't grown much since then. We are better in the sense that we don't have multiple meltdowns every day that can last for hours. That is huge, but we haven't seen the grand improvements that everyone thought we would :( We have had someone in the house anywhere from three to five days a week for between one and two hours a day. That has been a HUGE adjustment for us with our school life as well as everything else.

We were recently told that Issac isn't going to be approved for anymore Intensive Home Therapy. They believe that he's been taught the coping skills, but isn't necessarily able to use them. They feel that is related to his IDD, Intellectual Developmental Disability. When I heard that I thought to myself, does he have an IDD? I don't know and the truth is that is something we have been trying to find out for a long time. He understands lots of things and can have VERY intellectual conversations with you. Then he can want to get "huggies", climb into bed with us, sit on my lap and act about 3 years old. Part of me wants to be done with this entire thing, but part of me feels that MAYBE we are FINALLY getting to a person that can truly help us. For years I have said that Issac understands certain things and not others. His Developmental Pediatrician thinks all his "tantrums" come from the inability to problem solve. All the testing that has been done has had some large gaps in areas that she feels is the cause. What is the solution then?? We were told it was going back to Occupational Therapy, but they didn't really address any of those issues I felt. It seems to be a never ending cycle of going from here to there, but I feel I have to try for Issac's sake. I want him to be the best he can be as he grows older.

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear that the therapy didn't help as much as they originally thought it would. You are an amazing mama for always trying to do what is best for Issac no matter how hard it is on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for always being a supportive friend even though we don't live close by anymore!

      Delete

Review: Roar Like a Lion

Raising kids has always been a hard job, but with technology the way it is now I think most parents would say it's become harder.  We al...