Sunday, July 8, 2018

5th Grade-End of Year Review

Wow, I can't believe that I no longer have any children in elementary grades! On one hand that seems SO cool and on the other it makes me sad. It feels in some ways that just yesterday I started homeschooling and now my 3rd child will be starting 6th grade. It feels like we'll be done homeschooling sooner than I'd like. That said we had a great 5th grade year. Lot of stuff happening and lots of patience required :)

I think we used so many different programs, books, etc this year that at this point I'm not even sure I remember what all we used! I started my second year on the review crew and there are always LOTS of great things to be reviewed. Some of the things that stand out for me are that Issac really loved CTC Math. I had looked at this program previously for my daughter, but for some reason we didn't go with it.  He loved this program from day 1. He's really only used Teaching Textbooks, but he prefers CTC Math and I think we'll stick with it for now.  Issac has really started to develop a love for geography and really enjoyed Lets Go Geography.  Some of the activities seemed young for him because of the grade level, but he still enjoying learning about the countries.







He's also really enjoyed reading books on history.  We read several of the Rush Revere books and he really enjoyed those. We have co-op classes on Wednesdays and he started reading the books on his own because he heard the other kids talking about them! That was a first for him and I was so excited. For him to pick up a book and start reading it on his own after all his delays was such a happy day for this mama!! From there we just started reading any and all books on history we had at the house. One series he really enjoyed was the Who Was Series. We've been reading every one of those books that we own. He really likes hearing about some of the historical figures and how they were as children too :) Issac likes hands-on activities and really learned quite a bit from the Home School in the Woods-Time Travelers WWII


We tried the Wordly Wise Book 4 and I realized those are NOT a good fit for Issac. I thought it probably wasn't going to be a good fit, but it was a struggle. We also worked on grammar a bit this year, but still struggling to find a program that reviews enough for him.  Art has become another "class" that Issac enjoys. A friend did a once a month class that he really loved. They did pottery, painting, seed art etc.

We purchased a home back in November and Issac was really excited due to the land. It's been months of having patience because my husband got a concussion the same month. We have had lots of stressful times and it's been hard on Issac. I keep trying to teach him that family is forever and everyone needs to jump in and help. I'm hoping one day he'll fully grasp that concept :)

I can't believe that it's already early July and I have done ZERO planning for his 6th grade year!! I hope to get some ideas in the next few weeks and start planning. I really want to have a great year and focus on his love for history.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a pretty good school year! I love that he is so excited about history now. Jack really enjoys the "Who Was" books as well. Did you know there is a tv series for it on Netflix? I added it to our list, but haven't had a chance to watch any of it yet. I hope everything else with your husband, Issac, the house, and planning come together for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea about the series. I'll have to search it up for Issac :)

      Delete

Review: Roar Like a Lion

Raising kids has always been a hard job, but with technology the way it is now I think most parents would say it's become harder.  We al...