Saturday, August 15, 2020

Review: Wimmelbooks Set of 3



When my children were younger there wasn't much better to me than snuggling up with a book and reading to them. That was something I remembered from my childhood and hope to pass on to my grandchildren.  Recently I had the chance to spend some quality time with my grandsons and the 4 year old and I got to read these books.  He loves books and I, of course, want to indulge him in that love! I thought the Wimmelbooks Set of 3 would be interesting to him, but also help work on things like language development and using his imagination to make up his own stories.  As we read through these books they certainly didn't disappoint.  I've never met a child, let alone a boy, that didn't love all things on the farm, cars and construction related.  

These books are larger than a typical board type book and I think that's great for when kids like to sprawl out on the floor and look through them.  At the beginning of the book there is a list of the characters. As you look through the pages the child is looking to find the character and then tell you a story about them based on what's going on in the page. For example here are the characters At The Construction Site.  




James is the character that you want to help your child find throughout the story.






The child then tells a story about what James is doing in these pictures.






As we moved through the books the each follow the same pattern.  In Cars And Things That Go we have these characters.





We are now looking for Noah and telling stories about what he is doing. 







In the final book On The Farm we have the usual type characters you'd expect on a farm.






This time we are looking for Debbie and talking about what we think she's doing on the farm.  










I always thought of picture books as not really something I was interested in looking at with my children because there was no written story. When my youngest was about 4 I attended a seminar that was all about picture books. We had to take picture books and come up with our own story and it wasn't always easy. I learned then how open ended picture books are and that each of us can look at the same pictures and come up with a different story. This helps develop our imagination and creativity.  These books have been really great to look through while spending some quality time with my grandson.  These books are available in the 2020 Preschool Curriculum Kit and that's right in the age of my oldest grandson. As with any books you can take them and adjust them how you need to for them to fit your family.  To keep up with any new items check out Timberdoodle's Website, their FacebookInstagramTwitter or their Youtube.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Roar Like a Lion

Raising kids has always been a hard job, but with technology the way it is now I think most parents would say it's become harder.  We al...