Saturday, May 23, 2020

Week Ending 5/23/2020

I hope you all have had an amazing week! We had a TON of rain this week and typically that makes most people stay home, but my husband and I seemed to be out every day (LOL) Haven't done any work in the yard and that is going to be a big negative when I weigh in on Monday (LOL) I guess if I hadn't been totally off the Weight Watchers wagon this week I wouldn't be so worried. Then again I didn't gain the wait overnight, so I just have to keep pushing forward :)


This rain has been amazing for most of the plants in our garden, but also for the weeds :( I imagine I'll be weeding for a few days this week :) I was super excited when I went outside and saw the first of the peas as well as the tomatoes. The onions are looking good as well. My green peppers don't look to me like they have grown much at all :( I did some research and saw a mix of water and Epson salt, so I tried that today. The area I planted most of my tomatoes and all my peppers in is not an area I'd usually use for gardening. I wanted to get a garden going asap when we moved, but I knew that clearing space wasn't top priority with all that my husband needed to do. I cleared two small spaces myself to the left and right of the front door. I figured if that's all I had at least I had something. Shortly after that my husband started working on a space for a garden because he felt it was a priority. We worked for weeks clearing the area, digging up roots and whatnot. We still have a small patch to finish, but I'm incredibly proud of us all for the hard work it took to clear those areas. The soil might not be amazing this year, but so far things are looking good. Here is a peak at some of what's growing here :)

Lettuce

Marigolds


Pineapple Sage


Another crop of radish plants




Onions



Collards



 Spinach




Peas



Tomatoes, Lettuce and Cucumber


More Tomatoes and the Green Peppers



I had pot cucumber seeds and started them last week, so we'd hopefully have plenty of cucumbers. This week we found some picking cucumbers at Lowes the other day, so we bought 3 containers. I love to make pickles and have never seen the pickling cucumbers before. I was able to clear a spot and get those planted today. I also planted more lettuce seeds a week or so ago in hopes that "maybe" depending on the heat we can have plenty of lettuce through the summer. I actually planted those in pots, so that I could move them around or even bring them inside :) I also started cauliflower and we'll see how that turns out. I've NEVER grown cauliflower and I think I was a little late starting it, but I figured it never hurts to try :) 




I had posted last week about all the "junk" I mean tile and bricks that we found in our yard (LOL) One of the things we are also finding are pieces of fencing as well as about a half dozen tomato cages. I'm going to try painting them with some spray paint we have sitting around and see if that jazzes them up a bit :) 


I'll be honest that my husband and I have run so much this week that Issac and I haven't done much school :( We've got several great review items we are working on and I can't wait to share our thoughts with you all! I hope you all have a great week. 








2 comments:

  1. It is so exciting when things start to grow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is for sure :) Hubby has been looking at blueberries and blackberries this past week (LOL)

      Delete

Review: Roar Like a Lion

Raising kids has always been a hard job, but with technology the way it is now I think most parents would say it's become harder.  We al...