Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Review: The Faithful Spy

Have you heard of Dietrich Bonhoeffer? I'm sad to say that I didn't remember hearing about him before my son and I read The Faithful Spy. I'm honestly not sure if that's because I never learned about him or just didn't remember, but he was a fascinating man! Issac and I read this book as a read aloud each morning as we started school. He got so into the book that the one chapter I had planned to read a day wasn't enough. I had to be the "mean" mom and stop at two chapters (LOL) The book was 175 pages with seven chapters. The chapters were good lengths, but the way the chapters are written they aren't overwhelming! This book is written in what I'd call a comic style with bold colors of aqua, red, black and white. I think the color choices went great with the storyline and seemed to give it a dramatic flair.






Bonhoeffer was a pastor who became very upset with the way Hitler was treating people and running the country. There were points where he thought there was nothing he could or should do other than just support because that's what people should do. After receiving his draft notice and Hitler speaking out about wanting to completely annihilate the Jewish people Bonhoeffer felt he had to leave Germany. He left for New York City, but didn't stay long. He prayed and wondered about what he should do. As a pastor it didn't seem right what Hitler was saying about the Jewish people, but as a "good" German wasn't he suppose to support his country? After 26 days in the United States Dietrich was aboard one of the last boats to make the trans-Atlantic journey before WWII started.  He knew he had to do something and sitting by and hoping for the best wasn't the answer anymore.

As we learned more about Dietrich Bonhoeffer and his "action in faith" we learned what an amazing faith he had and how far he was willing to go to do what was right.  Dietrich felt that the people of Germany needed to be freed from their oppression.  He worked behind the scenes with many people trying to save the country he loved.  He ultimately gave his life for what he though was right.

This was an amazing and very powerful book. Yet the way it was written and presented was right there at the level needed to draw my son and I both in and keep us engaged. I feel when you can write and capture the attention of people so different in age then you truly have a gift. Issac and I took several things that we read in this book and looked them up and researched them further. I would recommend this book to all families, but especially if you have a child with an interest in history.  John Hendrix did an amazing job with this book and we can't wait to read more of his works.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Roar Like a Lion

Raising kids has always been a hard job, but with technology the way it is now I think most parents would say it's become harder.  We al...