Monday, April 30, 2018

Review: YWAM Publishing

YWAM Publishing
I can't even begin to remember how many years ago that I learned about the wonderful books that YWAM Publishing produces.  These stories are great biographies that are written about some of the heroes of our county. The first one that Issac and I read was Heroes of History- Milton Hershey and it was his first choice out of all that they have. He enjoyed the book so much as well as the "extra" activities we did from the study guide. We recently finished reading George Washington: True Patriot from the HEROES OF HISTORY set.  Issac has been wanting to learn more about George Washington and this book was the perfect starting place.  Along with the study guide we were able to learn so much about George Washington's life as well as having some fun along the way!
Issac has really begun to develop a love for history in these last few months. This is coming from a child who says he doesn't like school and doesn't care to read on his own. This is what is so great about homeschooling that you can focus on things that your children are interested in learning about. Issac was super excited to find out that we got the George Washington book. He had made a list last year of a few that he wanted to read and George Washington was at the top.  The rest of his list is as follows:

 Abraham Lincoln: A New Birth of Freedom
 John Adams: Independence Forever
Thomas Edison: Inspiration and Hard Work
 William Bradford: Plymouth's Rock.
 YWAM Publishing offers us the CHRISTIAN HEROES: THEN & NOW books or the HEROES OF HISTORY all written by Janet and Geoff Benge. The Christian Heroes complete set offers books 1-47 while the Heroes of History set offers books 1-29.  There's a book for everyone!
  I always love having a guide because then I can pick and choose what we want to use.  For this book Issac and I decided to put together a "lapbook" as our project. Lapbooks can be made tons of different ways and this time we just started out with file folders and added pages to it.  I tried to let Issac's new interest in history guide us as we read the book and worked on our project.  There are so many rabbit trails that you can jump off into and you can focus your attention on the geography, a timeline or just reading the book. I 
 like having options and then choosing how we want to use them.  I first did a quick review of the downloadable study guide, but Issac was so excited to start the book that we read several chapters before we did anything else. There were actually lots of little nuggets that jumped out to Issac or myself while we were reading and I just wanted to share a few of those. 



Here are a few things we put in our lapbook.  






Issac is in 5th grade, but I still do most of the reading in our school. When I read to him he constantly asks me to read another chapter whereas if he's reading on his own he'll read less. I don't mind because the amount of information that he seems to retain blows my mind sometimes. This is another wonderful thing about homeschooling is that we can make it fit for our child.  I like the way the questions are set up for the chapters. We start off with a vocabulary question, comprehension questions and then one for the student to think about how they would handle the situation. We had some very interesting discussions with that ending question. 


The books that YWAM Publishing produces are really great for any age and any type of student. My son has struggled with reading and writing, but has developed a love of history. We have adapted the study guide and the way we read the book, so that Issac still learned plenty. If you have a student that doesn't have these struggles or that is older they could easily read the book on their own as well as pick and choose their study guide activities. There are also so many options within the CHRISTIAN HEROES: THEN & NOW set and the HEROES OF HISTORY set that you could easily make your own history curriculum with the books and guides.  I'm really happy that Issac picked out George Washington: True Patriot for our book because I learned so much about him that I didn't know. I really had no idea that pretty much his entire life was spent on making our country great. 

For updates on new books and features check out the social media sites. The crew members had a wide variety of books to choose from, so I highly recommend reading all the reviews.






Christian Heroes, Heroes of History & Study Guides {YWAM Publishing  Reviews}

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I love the lapbook portion and Issac's desire to keep learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've done many "lapbooks" over the years and just put whatever we wanted in them :) Pictures, puzzles, etc. I'm trying to run with this history enjoyment right now (LOL)

      Delete

Review: Roar Like a Lion

Raising kids has always been a hard job, but with technology the way it is now I think most parents would say it's become harder.  We al...