Monday, April 3, 2017

Review: Iliad & Odyssey Complete Set by Memoria Press



We have enjoyed several different items from Memoria Press over the years.  Our middle child spent quite a bit of time reading all about Greek Mythology and anything related she could put her hands on. When I heard that we had the chance to review Iliad & Odyssey Complete Set I jumped on it for my daughter.  We received the following:
  • Iliad
  • Iliad Student Guide
  • Iliad Teacher Guide
  • Iliad DVDs
  • Odyssey
  • Odyssey Student Guie
  • Odyssey Teacher Guide
  • Odyssey DVDs
I suggested to my daughter that she read the first "book" in each of the Iliad and the Odyssey to decide which she'd prefer to read. I know normally the Iliad is read first, but I gave her the option to read whichever she'd prefer. After reading a "book" of each she chose to continue on with the Odyssey.  She watched the video for the first book and then proceeded to move on to the student book. You can see a sample of the video here.  I really liked the videos, but my daughter didn't.  I felt it helped me understand more of what was going on in the story. Sometimes the wording can get a little long and I felt the video helped this issue.  She's always enjoyed having videos like this in the past, but this particular time it just didn't click for her.  We also worked some where I read out loud and she did her student page. At first she said she couldn't do that because she wouldn't be able to focus, but that is the way she actually enjoyed and learned the most.  I found that I looked forward to our reading time because I was getting caught up in the story. Probably the hardest part for me was the pronunciation of all the names (LOL) My daughter was constantly correcting me and trying to help me get the names correctly :) I wish there was a little guide included to help with the pronunciations. Here are a few samples from when she started the Odyssey.  










I feel like these books are really written where you can understand them. I remember reading these in college and I really didn't have much understanding of them. I'm hooked now on the Odyssey and plan to go back and read the Iliad.  I've always felt that Memoria Press materials really push the children in their learning. These items didn't disappoint me at all! I also like that they give vocabulary at the start of the lesson to help the student know the people and places that they are reading about. They've also included comprehension questions as well as discussion question. My daughter did the comprehension on her own and then we talked between us about the discussion questions. The teacher's book is truly wonderful in my opinion.  They give you information you need for the discussion questions, there is a spot that tells you which questions will be on the upcoming test, so that you can inform your child and there are also some general teacher's note. The teacher's guide really sets up the parent and student for success.  The set is suggested for 7-12 grades and I think that's a wonderful fit. My daughter would have been able to do this in seventh grade, but I also felt it was just right for her in ninth grade this year. I feel like each year you would see your child growing in their discussion of the books. Here are a few pictures from the Iliad teacher's guide. 





Even though my daughter didn't chose to read the Iliad this time I plan to go and read it on my own :) I really enjoy the videos, so I will continue those as well. This is such a wonderful set and I don't think you can go wrong with the Iliad & Odyssey Complete Set.  

If you haven't checked out Memoria Press before look them up on their social media sites:


Twitter:  https://twitter.com/MemoriaPress  @MemoriaPress



First Form Greek, Iliad/Odyssey and American History {Memoria Press Reviews}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Roar Like a Lion

Raising kids has always been a hard job, but with technology the way it is now I think most parents would say it's become harder.  We al...